Saturday, January 28, 2012

Small victories

So I had a good and bad week. There were a few nights when I went to bed hungry enough to eat my own arm off. I went out to lunch twice and to dinner once. The neighborhood book club had a meeting. Aside from when it felt like my belly button was touching my backbone, the rest of these are food pitfalls for me. When I eat out, I have a very hard time choosing healthy choices and I inevitably eat everything on my plate. The cheesier something is described as being on the menu, the more appealing to me. Plus I am a member of the generation of the "clean plate club" so leaving food unfinished on a plate is guilt inspiring. The appetizers set out at neighborhood gatherings like book club? They just call to me.

But I had some small victories too. I only ate three small appetizers. I left food on my plate at dinner (although I inhaled the creme brulee dessert and practically licked the ramekin clean too since it is my very favorite dessert ever). I chose not to try one of the free small cookies at the check-out at the grocery store yesterday. This morning at a different grocery store (we ran out of milk--again), I stood and looked at the mint Oreos for a very, very, very long time. And I finally walked away without putting them in my basket. Notice that I am still thinking about them. But they are several miles away and not nearly so easy to get to so I think I'm safe from them for today.

I am still slacking on the exercise front (more on that another time) but I think I just agreed to run a half marathon in Detroit in October with a friend so exercise is likely to be a major part of my life again soon. I really do need to make that happen.

Overall, I'd say it was a hard week to stay on track for me but I managed to do it more often than not and the scale reflected that, which was nice to see. I'm down 1.2 pounds from last Saturday to 179.4. A whole new decade of numbers to work through.

No comments:

Post a Comment