Monday, January 9, 2012

The week in review

So Saturday marked the end of the first week of this quest. Overall it was a great week and the number on the scale that morning was 183.8 for a loss of 5.6 lbs. But just posting the numbers makes it sound like it was easy peasy lemon squeezy and it was not by any stretch of the imagination.

I went to bed hungry at least 3 nights last week but since I am adhering (loosely) to the old WW points program which worked for me before, I knew it was time to call it quits on the old intake those nights. So instead of heading to the pantry, I headed to bed. Let me tell you, the night that I went off to bed at 8pm, my husband was less than impressed. But my other choice was to stay up and lose all semblence of self-control and willpower.

I cooked dinner every night last week and have been eating the leftovers as lunch since then. Most of what I made was good and relatively healthy (as long as I ate a reasonable portion--another struggle for me, I might add) but I caved and made homemade creamed corn, which I adore. It's not even remotely good for you and it turns out that the rest of my family doesn't like it so I've been faced with trying to avoid overdosing on the leftovers. To that end, I dragged it over to a friend's house last night to share with others. There's a little left, but hopefully not enough to dimple my butt too badly. I tried 4 new recipes, 3 of which are keepers (including the creamed corn recipe but apparently only when I have a pot luck to go to) and one was less than pleasing. The old standby we use that is always a hit here is to take chicken breasts (and I have taken to buying the thin chicken breasts instead of the enormous, fat ones), sprinkle them with the spice concoction of your choice (I'm currently using rotisserie chicken spice) and toss them on the reliable old George Foreman grill. Easiest thing in the world and my kids all adore it. Their feelings on the vegetable accompaniments we won't go into but the chicken is highly coveted.

I didn't do so very well on the exercise front this past week. I did play a little tennis but I did not make it out for any runs and I seem to have lost the sheet the personal trainer created for me last May (and which I have used once since then). This is not good. I was supposed to run the Disney half marathon on Saturday but my sister backed out on me right before Christmas and since I hadn't been training for it anyway, I stayed home. Terrible when your family colludes to let you off the hook! Not that I've told them I'm doing this, but still...

This week has already kicked off harder than last week as I spent all day Saturday at youngest son's soccer tournament which meant eating out for both lunch and dinner. I was smart and got Subway for lunch and went to the grocery store close by for a side of strawberries instead of getting the meal deal with chips but the team ate at a wings and ribs place for dinner. My dinner of salad and soup was just not satisfying so after several hours driving home, I curled up on the couch with a bag of pretzels and proceeded to eat my way through 3/4 of the bag. On the plus side, I didn't eat the whole thing, so I guess I am making some sort of progress. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment